Surely it will have happened on occasion: the sun blinds his eyes, preventing him from seeing the field well, blinding him at the exact moment he is about to perform the blow of his life … sometimes it becomes so annoying that it causes the eyes to begin to itch and even skip some tears … Despite how uncomfortable, annoying, and even dangerous this situation can be, the truth is that sunglasses are still considered by many as a dispensable complement, of little importance, Even as a whim.
And the truth is that they are none of these things. The use of sunglasses in golf is often totally necessary, to the point that they are the only way to guarantee that our game will be the right one.
That is why we wanted to dedicate this special article to sunglasses, those great forgotten …
Advantages and disadvantages of wearing sunglasses
The advantages of wearing golf sunglasses have already been commented on, and we consider them to be of sufficient importance not to be overlooked: the care of visual health and the need to have a correct visual perception for the proper development of the game.
In addition to these, there are other advantages? Second grade? What you should know:
- Eye protection against dust and pollen, carried by the wind, which can cause serious complications.
- Reduce eye dryness problems, which will get worse on windy days.
These two points make us consider that the use of glasses is not only necessary on sunny days.
As for the inconvenience, only one with a certain entity could be named: the possible discomfort that the use of lenses entails during the game. Indeed, there are many players who are not accustomed to wearing glasses, and their use can be uncomfortable because they can slip with sweat, involve a weight, can disturb … Of course, nothing that is not solved with a correct choice of glasses and with the habit; If you choose glasses that fit correctly, with a light frame, in a short time, you will not notice that you are wearing them.
How To Choose Sunglasses
If we want to get the best out of our sunglasses, we will need to make the correct choice.
Just as the sticks should be as adapted to our game as possible, the glasses should adapt to our needs and characteristics if we intend to spend long hours playing with them.
When choosing your sunglasses, consider the following points:
The color of the crystals: you will undoubtedly be surprised to see in the market how the same model of glasses is marketed in multiple shades: yellow, gray, blue … what advantages does each of them offer? How do I know which one I need?
- Note that some colors, especially the lighter ones, block the end of the blue waves of the light spectrum; So some colors produce the sensation of seeing more clearly as if wearing glasses with graduation.
- In addition, lenses of different shades can reinforce the player’s ability to distinguish contrasts of objects on a background.
- It goes without saying that dark colors are the most suitable against visual fatigue since they greatly reduce glare.
Given all this and not to be wrong in your choice, you should know about the different colors that:
Yellow: absorbs 14% of visible light transmission (TLV). They are optimal for slightly cloudy days since on sunny days, and they can force us to have to squint to avoid glare.
- Red absorbs 50% TLV. Also suitable for cloudy days.
- Cinnamon absorbs 54% — definitely one of the favorites by golfers.
- Citric absorbs 65%. Optimal on sunny days.
- Gray absorbs 75%. For cloudy days. In case it is very dark, it can reduce visibility.
It goes without saying that the final choice will depend on the tastes of each one, as well as their visual sensibility, their age, the conditions with which they normally play and the characteristics of the field where they do it (keep in mind that there are many lakes, these greatly reflect the sun, generating dazzling effects).